Post-COVID syndrome (PCS) or ‘long COVID’ is a complex, multi-system illness that may follow SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 infection. WHO statistics indicated approximately 10~20% of peopler experience a variety of mid to long term effect after recovery from their initial illness. Post COVI-19 is defined as individual manifesting with symptoms and effects that last for at least 2 month. There is no clear group of people who are prone to it and no studies indicate there is a relationship between the initial severity of COVID-19 infection and the likelihood of developing post COVID-19. (1)
SELF CHECK: these symptoms are potential indicator of long COVID
extreme fatigue (tiredness)
shortness of breath, heart palpitations, chest pain or tightness
problems with memory and concentration
changes to taste and smell
joint and muscle pain
numbness or pins and needles
changes in mood (anxiety, depression or stress)
heart pounding or racing or heart palpitations
reduced appetite and weight loss
difficulty going about everyday activities, such as work or chores
These symptoms can really interrupt with daily task and the efficiency and productivity of individuals. Often individual feel significant decrease in overall energy, and is often observed with increased mood instability such as anxiety and depression. ((2) and Clinical observation of Lotus Health Practitioners)
HOW TCM CAN HELP
Case studies suggest, patient's chest pressure and palpitations resolved after 1 acupuncture treatment. With 6 additional treatments, spanning 9 weeks, overlapping with PT-led SPTA, she recovered completely and resumed her normal exercise. (3)
Alternatively there are a lot of herbs or natural products with potential anti-coronavirus effects reported from in vitro experiments and despite criticism, many clinical trials on traditional herbal medicine for COVID-19 are being conducted.
Sever long COVID will require CM doctor to diagnosis and prescribe with formula medicine or preform acupuncture, but for mild symptoms or self-care these are the things to try out.
Ginger tea + Chinese red dates + Gouji Berry —— Overall Health (especially with cold hands and feet or cold around uterus and lower back area)
Cut up 50g of fresh ginger in to slices or shreds
add 5-10 pieces of Chinese dried red dates and the ginger into 500ml of water
Boil for 15mins then add 25g of Gouji berry
simmer on low heat for another 5mins.
And drink as tea, and eat the date and Gouji Berrys
This tea is recommend to have anytime before 7pm (as ginger is warm in nature and can interrupt with sleep).
2. Huang Qi tea (increase energy level, fatigue)
10g of Huang Qi, into 300mil of water
Boil for 10 mins and drink as tea
（The Huang Qi can be cooked up to 3 boils）
3. ChenPi + American Ginseng — for cough, SOB and indigestion
10G of ChenPi + 10g of American ginseng into 300ml of boiling water
Let it sit for 5mins and drink as tea
(The tea can add more boiling water and drink through out the day. )
1. International W. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Post COVID-19 condition [Internet]. Who.int. 2022 [cited 14 October 2022]. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/questions-and-answers/item/coronavirus-disease-(covid-19)-post-covid-19-condition?gclid=CjwKCAjw7p6aBhBiEiwA83fGuof3ZTWAe0gaBOlg1WRLE6Bj4sZ_MYbrLXm0LMxll5hYoT2lst9CtRoCKssQAvD_BwE)
2. Roy-Byrne P, Afari N, Ashton S, Fischer M, Goldberg J, Buchwald D. Chronic fatigue and anxiety/depression: A twin study. British Journal of Psychiatry. 2002;180(1):29-34.
3. Trager R, Brewka E, Kaiser C, Patterson A, Dusek J. Acupuncture in Multidisciplinary Treatment for Post-COVID-19 Syndrome. Medical Acupuncture. 2022;34(3):177-183.